Digital Creative Director
Posted Date: Sep-14-2021
Job ID: 21445
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
REI is on a transformational journey to align our offerings around the customer and better meet their needs in both the physical and digital environments. We are focusing on experience delivery to ensure that our customer have exceptional interactions with REI and immediately understand our differentiators of expertise, inspiration, service, and community at every touchpoint. Our relationship with our members will evolve from a traditional transactional relationship, to one in which REI serves as a trusted partner that enables a life outside. Our digital and technology capabilities will integrate and enhance our offerings to serve members that both empower and inspire them to engage with REI.
This job contributes to REI’s success by leading the digital creative team including interactive and creative design, copy and product information functions within the digital division for web, mobile and our iOS and Android apps. Develops differentiated, compelling, and interactive creative that is on brand for all digital communication and customer touchpoints. Collaborates with marketing, brand lab, digital merchandising, store experience, corporate merchandising, co-op brands, product management and engineering to drive brand and customer engagement strategies. Represents the digital division and its business and user experience requirements to cross divisional partners to ensure digital -first execution. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
This role collaboratively champions a digital and mobile-first and customer mindset to cross divisional partners to ensure execution. The person is a digital design thought-leader and has proved experience in creating an elevated digital design aesthetic, harnessing creativity and innovation, testing hypothesis, and learning with the customer.
Leading the Way (team leadership, coaching and development responsibilities for this “manager of staff”)
• Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
• Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
• Actively collaborates with cross divisional partners – Marketing, Brand Lab, Merchandising, Platform, Store Experience to champion digital first strategies and executions based on customer needs, behaviors and best practices.
• Challenges and inspires team and partners to achieve business results.
• Leads the digital creative, digital copy and site production teams to deliver innovative digital products and experiences, providing continual creative inspiration that pushes boundaries, while utilizing the principles of good user design.
• Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
• Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
• Conducts and ensures the completion of quarterly performance reviews.
• Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results consistently and frequently.
• Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
• Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements (the plans the job is responsible for creating and executing, and how the job ensures they are implemented)
• Contributes to the development of the 3-5 year digital division strategy and goals that supports the REI corporate vision and strategy.
• Directs and communicates broadly the Vision of the digital experience and manages the look and feel of REI’s website and mobile channels.
• Develops seasonal, monthly and weekly creative direction for all digital communication and campaigns in partnership with marketing/brand lab creative teams.
• Leads digital creative reviews that demonstrate the customer journey pathing experience
• Ensures consistent execution of brand strategy and positioning for all company brands.
• Builds relationships and manage outside agencies to ensure work supports REI brand standards and achieves goals.
• Stays current with the competitive landscape, emerging digital trends, and digital customer behavior and incorporates this learning into the work.
• Generates new ideas and innovation for: creative execution, customer experience, digital strategy, work process and execution.
• Is a Digital thought leader, championing an elevated digital experience
• Fosters a culture of creativity, excellence, accountability and testing and learning.
• Collaborates with cross divisional partners as mentioned above to execute creative strategies.
• Responsible for the developing, monitoring and attaining the annual expense budget and goals for the digital creative division.
• Maintains all legal standards as applicable to marketing strategies particularly as they relate to FTC requirements and trademarks.
Bring your passion and expertise
• 5+ years of progressively responsible marketing leadership. Team leadership of 10+ person team.
• Expert knowledge of digital creative function and competencies including: digital art direction, digital interaction, photography, video, brand and UX copy writing, editing, packaging, branding.
• Bachelors degree in art, design, marketing or related field.
• Innovative and strategic thinking related to all forms of communication and retail marketing, with a focus on digital: social media, digital advertising, website design.
• Experienced giving direction to and managing creative agency relationship.
• Ability to clearly articulate a compelling vision and strategy.
• Experienced leader and people manager of creative teams to drive innovation and brand differentiation while executing creative work within scope, time and budget paremeters.
• Understanding of the REI brand and the outdoor specialty retail business.
• Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
• Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
• Establishes trust and inspires others.
• Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics – the Co-op Way
• Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
• Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company'