Principal UX Designer, Mobile Employee Tools
Posted Date: Nov- 1-2021
Job ID: 21875
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: Yes
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
REI is a different kind of company. As a co-op, we put purpose before profits and act in the long-term interests of our members. We believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived, and as a member of the UX team, you'll contribute to REI’s mission to connect every person to the power of the outdoors and engage them in the fight to protect it. Our designers strive to deliver customer-centric experiences that are inspiring, inclusive, human, purposeful & trustworthy.
The Mobile Employee Tools team is looking for a Principal UX Designer. In this role, you will lead, inspire, and partner with a multi-disciplinary team to drive strategy and deliver innovative user experiences for REI's in-store workforce. The candidate will use their leadership skills and deep knowledge of mobile experiences to define and continuously improve REI's existing employee application and lead the ideation and development of future tools to enhance and support the employee experience as they serve REI customers. At your core, you have an insatiable passion for mobile user experiences, discovering new ideas, defining and validating problems and possible solutions, and working in a highly collaborative work style to grow a shared understanding of our user's goals, tasks, and workflows. Ultimately then translating these into innovative and elegant experiences that best support the employee as they engage with REI customers.
Additionally, you will possess an exceptional ability to develop relationships across teams, co-create and present a vision, define outcomes, and be hands-on in implementing the work. Finally, you'll be a leader in educating and advocating for the practice of human-centered design, customer centricity, and product-led strategies. Candidates must be proactive, responsive, flexible, and able to succeed in a fast-paced, transforming, collaborative environment without supervision.
• Discovers and frames ambiguous problems and drives solutions for one or more critical products or strategic projects.
• Champions user research, conduct qualitative and quantitative research using a range of tools and moderated and unmoderated approaches (ex. interviews, ethnography, card sorting, surveys) to answer Product and UX questions and produce new insights.
• Work with product teams to identify and prioritize user research requirements, including timelines, scope, and methodologies.
• Create user experience strategy, delivery and validation plans, inspirational mockups, and prototypes
• Serve as an embedded designer on a cross-functional team partnering closely with Product Managers, Research, Engineering and Analytics counterparts to deliver best-in-class mobile experiences.
• Accountable for an end-to-end design process, including strategy, advocating for design, and presenting to all levels of stakeholders and leadership
• Craft artifacts that communicate solutions. Including implementation of prototypes, mockups, task analysis, usability studies, personas, user flows, wireframes, style guides, navigational structures, and affinity diagrams.
• Identifies and leads building out design standards and patterns, style guides, and frameworks for our design systems
• Advocates for new design standards and practices, in collaboration with product, marketing, and engineering teams
• Contribute to task & dependency analysis, scheduling, and risk mitigation plans.
Bring your passion and expertise
• 8+ years experience in UX, interaction design, information architect, service design or similar plus 3+ years managing and mentoring teams.
• 3+ years experience in UX design for enterprise-level mobile applications
• Experience in leadership, collaboration, communicating and influencing design strategy. • Excellent problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations when designing for platforms.
• Proficient at building and shipping features/products at a department level, leading the end-to-end experience across a variety of platforms.
• Demonstrable track record in leading strategic thinking across a large product space, developing product goals, identifying opportunities and outcomes while continuously developing relationships with cross-functional peers.
• Experience at developing design standards, patterns, style guides, best practices, and frameworks which are accessible and utilize human-centered methodologies.
• Experience presenting work to executives, clearly and succinctly articulating the goals and concepts.
• A portfolio demonstrating excellent UX design skills for solving complex problems with clear results.
• Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, Interaction or similar area, or equivalent practical experience.
• Previous experience supporting retail industry or e-commerce apps and sites.
• Experience in a highly agile/scrum environment.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills.
• Ability to lead design teams while maintaining responsibilities as an individual contributor.
• Experience building tools that support the employee engaging with customers.
REI 10 Essentials
• Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
• Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
• Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
• Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
• Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
• Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
• Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
• Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
• Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
• Acts upon opportunities and involves and