Category Manager, Technology
Posted Date: Nov- 8-2021
Job ID: 22134
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Finance
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
REI’s Procurement Organization is transforming how procurement is done at every level to dramatically improve the customer experience and enable business outcomes. This job will contribute to REI’s success by playing an active role in the implementation of procurement transformation as a Category Manager of Technology and effectively managing the end-to-end procurement process for all technology (including digital) related products and services for the co-op.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements
• Develops and executes category plans inclusive of sourcing, contracting, and vendor management strategies to achieve best value, minimize risk, and enable business outcomes for technology spend and business unit categories.
• Develops category plans inclusive of a supplier pipeline, supplier diversity targets, and business demand forecast.
• Communicates category plans to Sourcing Vendor Partners effectively and oversees execution of such plans.
• Establishes and maintains healthy relationships with assigned technology business units and functions as dedicated point of contact for all procurement needs.
• Owns and is accountable for the customer procurement experience; level sets expectations with customer and maintains the customer informed every step of the way.
• Manages the end-to-end procurement process and delegates and pulls in resources and expertise as appropriate at each step of the process.
• Contributes to technology business unit roadmap and provides key technology industry expertise.
• Identifies and communicates procurement best practices for technology spend to Procurement leadership, REI senior leadership, and internal business partners.
• Identifies, researches, and presents vendors for project consideration to business owners.
• Provides actionable insights to support business decision-making.
• Mentors and takes a measurable stake in the development of diverse suppliers with the goal of growing REI’s supplier diversity footprint.
• Negotiates and manages contracts for technology software, hardware, digital, and services.
• Mentors Procurement team members and leads cross-divisional teams.
• Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
• Operates in accordance with the applicable standard operating framework of the role.
• Meets regularly with technology business unit leadership to ensure alignment and to provide value-added insights on vendors.
• Works with the Legal team to construct appropriate contract terms & conditions for technology contracts and contract templates.
• Facilitates interactions among Finance, Procurement team, and business owners to ensure budgets and expenditures are appropriate and align with objectives, strategies, and tactics of REI.
• Researches and validates vendor and REI compliance with technology software, hardware, digital, and services contracts; serves as subject matter expert within REI for technology contracting best practices.
• Designs, develops and implements vendor management consistent with responsibilities, including but not limited to vendor categorization models, KPI’s, SLAs, metrics and/or scorecards.
Bring your passion and expertise
• 7+ years demonstrated procurement experience supporting technology spend categories, including development and execution of category plans; 5-10 years comprehensive sourcing, contracting, and vendor management experience in technology spend areas such as software-as-a-service, enterprise applications, digital, etc.
• 5+ years of experience managing strategic vendor relationships to maximize benefits of vendor partnerships.
• Deep understanding of technology and technology supplier landscape.
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration.
• MBA or Master’s degree in technology field preferred
• CPM, CPSM, APICS or similar certification preferred
• Ability to develop and manage complex category profiles and planning documents
• Ability to create, analyze and negotiate complex contracts with minimal guidance and consultation from Legal staff.
• Extensive experience leading, and collaborating with cross-divisional project teams.
• Demonstrated ability to understand and explain business and legal risks within contracts.
• Able to influence leadership cross-divisionally to develop, roll out and continuously improve procurement and supplier relationship processes.
• Ability to understand accounting and budget implications of proposed expenditures.
• Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
• Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
• Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities. Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
• Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
• Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
• Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals. Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
• Builds rapport with broad range of stakeholders inside and outside the organization.
• Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
• Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
• Embodies REI values.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid