Veyo Pool & Crawdad Canyon is a privately owned, family resort located just 20 minutes from St George, Utah. It’s been a local hot spot since the early 1950’s and continues to be a popular recreation destination for locals as well as for people from around the world. Summer temperatures in the canyon are typically 12-15 degrees cooler in our canyon than in St George. As a result, our customers visit to cool off and relax on hot summer days. We offer many unique attractions, including the following:
- Natural Spring-fed Pool: Lava-heated water flows directly from the earth into a swimming pool originally built in the early 1950’s. The water is approximately 85 degrees, which is the perfect temperature for relaxing in the water on a hot summer day.
- Rock Climbing: Crawdad Canyon is the only privately owned rock climbing park in the state of Utah. Climbers from around the world enjoy climbing the canyon cliffs in the summer because the tall trees in the canyon keep the walls shaded and cool.
- Camping: We offer 28 beautiful campsites in the canyon along the river.
- Lodging: We currently don’t offer any lodging, yet this is something we hope to add in the very near future with the help of a new manager.
- Crawdad Catching: Families visit our canyon from all around the region to catch crawdads found in the Santa Clara River, which runs through the property.
- Restaurant: We are well known for our great food. Our gill offers delicious burgers, hand-dipped corn dogs, pie shakes and much more. People drive 1-2 hours just to eat at our restaurant.
- Special Events: We regularly host corporate events, school/church parties, weddings, family reunions, birthday parties and all sorts of other activities.
For the past 24 years, the canyon has only been open May – September. New ownership hopes to find a manager who can help us turn the canyon into a year-round resort (not required). We plan to continue improving the property and eventually add lodging.
Veyo Pool & Crawdad Canyon is seeking a qualified individual to manage and expand the operations of the existing business. The resort is currently open seasonally from May through September. However, the owners are seeking a manager to help develop the business into a year-round operation, yet this isn’t required if candidates are just seeking seasonal employment.
We are hoping to start offering some/all of the following new activities in 2019, which new manager will help develop and oversee:
- National climbing festival/competition
- Rock climbing summer camps
- Swimming lessons program
- Oversee and manage the addition of new lodging: cabins, treehouses, RV park, etc
- Other programs/events
Candidates should have excellent organizational, communication and public relations skills. This is a working supervisory position requiring evening, weekend, and holiday work. Manager should have the ability to express and exchange ideas by means of verbal and written communication and effectively convey detailed and important instructions to employees and customers.
Manager will oversee the following positions:
The manager will hire someone to manage the restaurant and assist the general manager
There are typically 12-14 kitchen staff members hired each year.
The resort currently has someone hired, who handles daily maintenance and repairs. These tasks include the following:
- Take out garbage daily
- Gather/chop wood
- Manage pool operations
- Clean bathrooms daily
- Assist with setup and takedown for special events
- Ensure all tools are clean and functioning
- Perform maintenance duties:
• Flatten/grade campsites
• Trim trees
The manager is expected to understand how to, and be able to perform, all duties of these positions in case someone is unable to come to work or for when they take time off. Job responsibilities include, yet are not limited to, the following activities:
- Staff scheduling
- Special event management, includes meeting with event coordinator once a week
- Canyon improvement
- Public relations
- Developing and enforcing policies and procedures to ensure efficient and effective operations of the resort
- Personnel management and training
- Supervising and conducting all swimming pool activities, camping, picnicking, and restaurant/concessions operations.
- Prepare work schedules for employees
- Pool chemical analysis and application
- Oversee and assist office and kitchen/concession staff
- Oversee and administer first aid if needed
- Basic office tasks including Microsoft Word, Excel, Email functions, etc.
- Balance cash drawers and deposit cash into bank accounts
- Schedule group reservations for swimming, camping, picnicking and climbing
- Maintain positive public relations for the business
- Place orders for food and supplies
- Manage inventories
- Develop and manage operations systems
- Ensure facilities are well maintained
- Camp host duties
- Open facility each morning and secure at night
- Strategically plan for improvements and new additions
- Oversee, hire, train, and manage staff (this includes administering discipline to employees)
- Other duties as assigned
Prefer candidates with some/all of the following certifications, however, manager may obtain these after hire:
- Certified Food Safety Manager
- Food Handlers Permit
- First Aid
- Certified Pool Operator
- Certified Lifeguard
Education and Experience
Prefer candidates with the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Recreation Management or similar, or comparable experience
- General management experience
- General maintenance experience preferred
- Bonus would be to have rock climbing experience
This position requires manual labor and working in extreme weather conditions. Manager will need to work with chemicals and power tools. Working long hours during summer months is also required.
Physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, or push heavy objects. Climbing in and out of the swimming pool, up and down ladders and hiking up and down the canyon is required.
Veyo Pool & Crawdad Canyon opens at 9 AM and closes at 8 PM daily. We often stay open later for private events or for campers checking in late. We are open 7 days a week. Our season starts the May 1 and ends September 30th. As mentioned above, we would eventually like to extend the season.
? Manager and/or assistant manager is expected to be onsite at all times. The manager can schedule the assistant manager for up to 20-25 hours a week.
? Manager needs to arrive at the canyon no later than 8 AM daily to start the morning duties
? Manager needs to be onsite for all large private events
? Manager or assistant manager needs to remain onsite until after-hours events are over and the property is cleaned up, and customers have left the premises
? We start prepping the property April 1 for the season
Outside of our regular season, we are open for rock-climbing, camping, crawdad catching, and hiking by reservation only. The off-season is October - April.
? The manager is expected to be onsite at all times when customers are in the canyon
? If there is an after hours event, it is expected that the manager will stay on site until the event is over, cleaned up, and customers have left the premisses
? Currently restaurant and pool are closed during the off-season
? October is when we put the property to bed for the winter
? Profit sharing options available
? 6 weeks paid vacation during off-season
SEASONAL POSITION (MARCH - OCTOBER)
? Exact start and end dates are flexible
? Profit sharing option available
Veyo, St. George Area Utah
|Required Experience:||6 year(s)|
|Salary Range:||Not available|
Live in a canyon and help build an amazing resort in the beautiful desert in southern Utah.