NOLS is a nonprofit, global wilderness school that educates students in leadership and wilderness skills. Our students learn to step forward on expedition and classroom-based courses. Graduates have a lifelong drive for leadership, outdoor pursuits, continued skills development, and conservation. Since 1965, NOLS has embraced and explored the unknown through outdoor and classroom-based courses. We currently educate over 27,000 students annually and have more than 300,000 alumni. The annual budget is $40 million and we manage a $40 million endowment. For more information visit www.nols.edu.
We are looking for a Human Resources and Diversity Director. (HRDD)
Job Objective: The HRDD plans, organizes, and directs the activities of the Human Resources & Diversity Department, including policy development, compensation, benefits, performance management, regulatory compliance, and organizational and professional development. The HRDD advises and provides recommendations to the executive team, schoolwide directors, supervisors, and employees in a comprehensive range of related matters while ensuring compliance with local, state, federal and national laws. The HRDD provides leadership and vision for fostering an inclusive work environment where employees feel valued, respected and have access to opportunities.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree plus 3 to 5 years of practical management skills in human resources development. International human resource experience preferred. Skills necessary include relationship management, global and cultural awareness/competence, human resource expertise, excellent communication, leadership, objectivity, solution-oriented thinking, good organizational skills and the ability to set and prioritize tasks and the ability to work independently.
Leadership or Supervisory Duties: The human resources director indirectly oversees NOLS employees by setting policy and training supervisors in recruiting, orientation, training and management of personnel. They are the responsible officer for the NOLS J-1 Visa program and support other visa programs. They oversee two administrative support personnel and the diversity, equity, & inclusion manager.
Funds and/or Property: Responsible for a department budget of $820,000. Is responsible as a check signer and employee agreement signer to obligate NOLS funds.
• 25% - Oversees supervisor training, onboarding and staff development. Advise supervisors by handling inquiries, communicating and interpreting policies, and handling employee issues as they arise. Responsible for personnel policies including the employee handbook, benefit handbook and supervisor’s notebook. Manages evaluation system of in-town staff.
• 20% - Conducts research into human resources programs and activities, and recommends changes or innovations. Researches and works with legal counsel to understand current domestic and international personnel laws. Makes recommendations to the executive team to ensure compliance with labor laws. Manages the J-1 visa program.
• 20% - Researches and advises the executive team in developing strategy, policies and direction in the design of pay and benefit systems. Conducts periodic compensation/benefits comparable studies to ensure that NOLS remains competitive among comparable non-profit organizations. Facilitates the fall compensation process with the executive team. Facilitates periodic staff satisfaction survey and assesses outcomes.
• 20% - Responsible for designing and overseeing tactics and strategies that enable us to meet our strategic goals as outlined in the Diversity & Inclusion Plan 2020.
• 5% - Represents NOLS to external audiences such as at conferences and with peer directors at other organizations.
• 5% - Available to support NOLS crisis response team.
• 5% - Participates on committees and special projects as assigned and needed.
Please submit resume through Malakye.com