Lead and direct the China Development Center in Dongguan China CSC product development center in achieving the CSC Brands Manufacturing Goal across the Global network of Liaison Offices and Finished Goods Vendors. Responsible to manage the Development Centers operations in compliance with all CSC Brands Corporate Governance guidelines and local statutes/regulations. Lead the creation and commercialization of the Global Seasonal Product, Advanced Innovation, Operational excellence, Organizational skill building and Profitability of the Columbia Sportswear Company and its various brands. Provide leadership in the creation and execution of people strategy for the Development Center enabling a continuous value enhancement.
• Direct Development Center’s team on issues of physical and digital development, material utilization, standardized construction techniques, continuous improvement, maximize production efficiency while adhering to the CSC Brands quality standards. Communicate with functional manager on problem resolution, decision making and, informational exchange towards the manufacturing goals and objectives. To provide clear focus, vision, expectations, and communication ensuring that the Development Center supports the manufacturing business plan objectives.
• Collaboration with Global Apparel Manufacturing leadership team to assist in evaluating and supporting the Vendors Development and Manufacturing capabilities to execute the ask of the CDC Brands and consumers expectation.
• Work with the Columbia Brands business functions to ensure development process improvements are in line with their goals and objectives regarding the commercialization of the products we bring to market. Measure performance of the vendors ability to develop product both digitally and physically. Establish correction plans for the vendors where needed. Align with Regional and Global Leadership roles on strategies and plans related to Vendor selection, rationalization and growth and help execute them.
• Ensure that seasonal commercialization of new products, is consistent with the standard processes and procedures that are aligned with the Global Development Strategy. Support the liaison offices as needed to meet the calendar/performance goals and objectives.
• Support Innovation and Design efforts of CSC brands by providing an infrastructure for rapid and robust execution of experimental requests with the highest expectation of confidentiality. Research, refine and present construction solutions that enable CSC brands to launch and scale new product ideas with high quality, reliability and speed fulfilling the needs of the consumer.
• Lead the adoption of world class manufacturing practices at the Development Center operations aimed at relentlessly improving safety, quality, delivery, sustainability, and cost metrics of the organization. Developing manufacturing best practices and knowledge sharing with vendor partners for improving the overall supply chain performance.
• Responsible for the Human Resource administration of the Development Center. Develop and execute the effort in succession planning, organizational development, personal learning, and development plans, promote employee satisfaction, salary administration, hiring and performance calibration. Manage with courage where required.
• Lead by example in your understanding and implementation of the Columbia Sportswear code of Business Conduct with office staff and suppliers. Collaborate with internal human resources and legal teams to identify and implement appropriate follow up action when a violation of CSC code of conduct is reported within your area of supervision.
• Establish and manage fiscal year business planning and budgeting for the Development Center through close collaboration of local and corporate finance partners.
• Build and maintain strong professional relationship with senior leader of our soft & hardware vendors in the region to achieve the short and long-term goals and strategy of the CSC Brands. Lead with diplomacy and assertiveness while managing the service contracts for sewing/construction equipment.
• Establish and maintain strong relationships with upstream and downstream business partners - CSC Brands, Regions, Home Office, Liaison Offices, Raw Material and Finished Goods vendors in the region, to effectively plan & execute CSC business operations.
• Keep abreast of industry apparel manufacturing and development trends and maintain knowledge of Equipment and Software capabilities to guarantee the CSC Brands Manufacturing Strategic Plan. Provide strategic and real-time feedback on the apparel manufacturing and development industry in the region that enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of product development and production.
• Organize regional meetings and summits as needed that focus upon development and commercialization topics. Participate in the planning and organization of meetings led by Senior Leaders in Supply Chain, Innovation and Design.
• Serve as a resource in resolving complex manufacturing problems
• Develop strategy, lead, and implement complex and cross functional projects intended to deliver short term and long-term benefits to the business.
Functional (Development, Material Research, Costing, Quality and Production)
• Enhance (Commercialization, Quality or Production) functional alignment between LO and HQ and amplify “one team” collaboration
• Identify forward looking opportunities for the function and implement initiatives intended to deliver long term benefits to the business.
• Drive strategic alignment, initiatives, and standardization for the function across the CSC Brands
• Establish Development Metrics and KPI targets for the Development Center and our vendor partners
• Drive functional process harmonization across liaison offices to improve problem resolution simplification of standards and processes that overall drive faster decision making
Position requires supervisory direction and direct authority of experienced development, commercialization, costing, patternmaking, quality, and production teams. Proven leadership skills and ability to manage and motivate multiple teams and individuals.
• Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in a business management, engineering, industrial design, or a similar field.
• A strong understanding of pattern engineering, costing, quality implications, proto typing, innovation management, customs, patents, and manufacturing processes.
• Possess strong written and verbal communication skills in English and business level proficiency in local language (Mandarin/Cantonese) to deal with various levels of management and employees within the organization, local government agencies and external vendor partners.
• Offshore apparel manufacturing experience required.
• Having an in-depth knowledge of running a Factory/Sampling operation in China is a preference.
• Strong organizational, financial, and human resource skills - at least 15 years’ work experience in senior management position in Apparel Manufacturing or Product Development of which 10+ years is in managing managers.
• Mandarin speaking is must, English speaking is preferable.
Complexity is create