The Financial Controller is a professional who oversees the book-keeping and financial reporting in an organization. The position is usually raked high in most organizations. The Financial controller usually has an accounting background, which makes them an ideal candidate to oversee the accounting, monitoring and implementation of internal financial controls. This job entails having the entire oversight of a firm’s finances. This means that he/she must be knowledgeable about activities that can make the firm make more profits while keeping away from those that would bring losses to the company. Maximizes return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Preparing financial reports, budgets, cost reports and financial forecasts on a regular basis
• Overseeing the accounting staff, and the financial analysts
• Mentoring accountants for purposes of ensuring that their accounting and analysis duties are done well
• Ensuring that the financial records are accurate
• Ensuring that every expense is properly documented
• Ensuring that the books of accounts are compiled every end of the month
• Ensuring that the books of accounts are compiled at the end of every financial year
• Working with staff in the accounts department in determining the level of profitability of the company within a specified time
• Ensuring that there is fiscal responsibility within the firm’s operations
• Ensuring that the decision makers in the firm understand the financial implications of the missions they set for their company in a specific period
• Approves finances to be used in specific projects by the firm based on estimates made by the accounting department
• Responsible for the budgetary control in a specific firm
• Corresponds with the senior management regarding any financial decisions that are made
• Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
• Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
• Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits; providing information to external auditors.
• Maximizes return, and limits risk, on cash by minimizing bank balances; making investments.
• Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
• Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
• Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
• Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
• Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
• Ensures operation of equipment by establishing preventive maintenance requirements and service contracts; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
• Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
• Maintains financial staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
• Maintains financial staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
• Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Skills and Specifications
• A deep understanding of the accounting principles
• A CPA license or experience in public accounting is desirable
• Microsoft Access and Spreadsheet knowledge is desirable
• Managing Processes
• Financial Software
• Developing Standards
• Auditing & Accounting
Education and Qualifications
• A degree in Financial Accounting and Management
• A CPA or an MBA would be a big advantage
• Or at least 5 years in progressively more difficult positions, may be considered.
Must possess a can-do, positive attitude with a strong desire to work in a fast paced, ever changing environment.
We offer excellent benefits and above average compensation. Come grow with us!
If this is you please send over a resume, cover letter that clearly shows your ability and skills in order to be successful in this position and the company, and letters of recommendation. Salary is DOE, this is an in-house, full time position in Eugene, OR.