Key Stakeholders of Street League Skateboarding Launch New OTT Service and Appoint CEO to Lead Expansion
Founders and backers of the world’s leading skateboarding competition series, Street League Skateboarding (SLS), have launched a first- of-its-kind skateboarding SVOD channel, ETN, and have appointed industry veteran CJ Olivares as CEO to lead the ongoing evolution of the platform. This season, SLS will anchor the ETN programming slate as marquee live content on the channel. Olivares will also lead the management of SLS’ global business into the future.
Founder and former GM of the action-sports network Fuel TV, backed by a career that includes media giants such as FOX, NBC and ABC/ESPN, Olivares brings more than 20 years of acutely relevant personal and professional experience that bolsters the ability for ETN to consistently deliver must-watch programming on the platform, and better serve the growing audience of both the OTT service and the league worldwide. Further, Olivares will apply his success in brand and audience development to the company’s long-range plan to launch additional SVOD/OTT channels in complimentary verticals at the intersection of sports and youth culture.
Founder and Chairman of the board, Rob Dyrdek explains the hire further. “Finding an executive like CJ to lead the business into the next chapter is like finding a unicorn. There are no other people I know that have run a global channel of the magnitude that he has with the unique programming mix of skateboarding, live events, and irreverent original shows. He is a perfect fit to take ETN to the next level and developing SLS into the future.”
Launched in February, ETN is the first and only SVOD and mobile-first service of its kind, available on iOS, Android, and desktop via ETNLive.com. The channel is inspired by the unique culture of skateboarding and features a wealth of disruptive original programming. ETN also serves as the exclusive live-streaming platform for SLS and the legendary Tampa Pro and Tampa Am contests. Joining CJ as the lead creative executive on all ETN programming is Erik Bragg, long-time skateboarding content creator, who will focus on the development and execution of ETN’s originals and hosting select shows on the platform.
“Taking the helm of ETN Media is an amazing opportunity to continue to build a game-changing platform that can engage and entertain skateboarding audiences around the world. The team’s early efforts to create original, must-see programming have already struck a chord with a global fan base and this is just the beginning.” Olivares continues, ”In terms of SLS, there is an exciting opportunity for continued international expansion on the road to skateboarding’s debut at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.”
Brian Atlas, SLS/ETN co-founder, President and COO, led the integration of Olivares as CEO and is preparing the transition out of his day-to-day management role at SLS/ETN to lead Dyrdek’s Venture Studio and investment arm, Dyrdek Machine. Remaining involved as a board member of the current business, Atlas explains further: “One of the first SLS pitch meetings we ever had was with CJ when he was head of Fuel TV, before we even launched the league back in 2010. His high-level media background, mixed with his event and programming experience in skateboarding and beyond, makes him uniquely suited to lead the platform into the future and I could not be more thrilled to see the business in such capable hands.”
he next stop of the 2017 SLS Nike SB World Tour goes down in Munich, Germany on June 24 and can be viewed live for free on ETN, available now on the App Store and Google Play. A complete Finals replay will also be airing on ESPN2 on June 27, along with a special broadcast recap on ABC as part of World of X on July 1.
AVAILABLE NOW ON ETN VOD
• FaceMelters – Live and unpredictable, witness at your own risk. The gnarliest tricks at the gnarliest spots, live.
• Four Wheels Live – The only game show where skateboarding makes cents. Two skateboarders go head to head and compete for hundreds of thousands of pennies at the mercy of the wild wheel.
• Disaster Series – The winner-take-all, live contest series that looks like it takes place at a junkyard in hell. Ramp-raising hell!
• Topical Paradise – Where sensitive topics meet real opinions. Controversial host Chris Nieratko sits down with two professional skaters to talk about hot button topics in the skateboard stratosphere
• Jumping Fences – High bust, low expectations. Skaters get together and barge skate illegal spots. Sometimes they get tricks, sometimes they get kicked.
2017 SLS NIKE SB WORLD TOUR DATES AND VENUES:
• June 24 SLS Nike SB World Tour: Stop One | Olympic Park | Munich, Germany
• August 13 SLS Nike SB World Tour: Stop Two | UIC Pavilion | Chicago, IL
• September 15 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship | Galen Center at USC Los Angeles, CA