Fast Five - Arc'Teryx
Headquartered in North Vancouver, B.C. Canada with more than 500 people employed worldwide Arc’Teryx puts out very high-quality, functional, refined product and is one of the best looking brands in the Outdoor industry. Originally named Rock Solid by founder Dave Lane and later named Arc’Teryx by co-founder Jeremy Guard, the company’s first product was a climbing harness. Arc’Teryx line expanded over time to now include climbing gear, packs & bags, footwear, outerwear, and apparel.
1. Arc’Teryx was founded in 1989 as Rock Solid, and in 1991 was renamed Arc’Teryx. The company’s first product was the Vapor harness and then a couple years later in 1993 Arc’Teryx launched its first backpack, the Bora.
2. The company headquarters in North Vancouver, BC is its design center is a very hands-on lab where all innovation, product development, and design comes together. Headquarters has more than 200 people across 25 departments.
3. Although Arc'Teryx is known for its simplistic & beautiful design, its products are very time consuming and involved to build – one of the flagship jackets requires 190 operational steps and 4.3 hours to construct.
4. W.L. Gore licensed Gore-Tex to Arc’Teryx before the company had made any outerwear, which is unheard of. That partnership is a pivotal part of the company’s success over the years.
5. Arc’Teryx has dozens of jobs open across the world and presents a world of opportunity to it’s employees.