Fox Racing Commits to Bicycle Industry Employers Association
April 8, 2021
BIEA ethos to grow, diversify and build stronger UX for retailers
Fox Racing, the global leader in mountain bike and motocross apparel and equipment is proud to announce a three-year commitment to support the emerging Bicycle Industry Employers Association (BIEA) in its quest to grow, diversify and create a pathway to professional bike education certification.
Kelly Carioti, General Manager NA said, “We believe in all the great work BIEA is doing for the bicycle industry and are thrilled to be a partner to help with the development of solutions. Great service is at the center of the value proposition for the rider and the community. At the same time, there is a shortage of trained service technicians. We have an opportunity to raise the bar by focusing on professional training, certifications and diversity to attract new talent to help build a great future for the bicycle industry.”
The company also believes investing to elevate the rider service experience is critical to developing the recent surge of new riders into life-long participants. And that is key to the health of the industry.
David Olson, BIEA Chair, Erik’s Bike Shop, President said, “We are grateful for Fox Racing’s leadership in supporting the mission, and they join a growing list of premium brands that see the value in building a better retail environment for the future. We believe if young riders can seek a two-semester degree at a cost of approximately $5,000-7,000 and walk into a retail environment on day one ready to handle 90% of issues with a professional manner and capabilities, it will be an important cog in the future of cycling growth in the US. Our goal is to open seven certified schools that can each certify technicians to fuel the future of an innovative and demanding stream of new cycling products from brands all over the world.”
Jeff McGuane, CEO, Fox Racing said, “Rider retention is an industry-wide opportunity, and it is important for Fox Racing and other leading suppliers to join with retailers to expand this vision to elevate the rider service experience so we can all rise together and grow cycling.”
BIEA Fact Sheet:
- BIEA is raising $300,000 to get the first location off the ground to officially launch and certify technicians with the support of the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
- The plan is to expand to seven locations around the country as funding and accreditation is approved.
- Technician programs exist because the industry supports the program. Minnesota Community Technical College is supported by the airlines industry and we need to support our Technician certification with support from suppliers and retailers who will benefit from the heightened skills and knowledge from education.
- All board of director members are working for free to get this initiative off the ground so 100% of the funding goes to develop the programs to get students educated.
- BIEA Accredited Bicycle Technician programs are launching this fall at MCTC in Minneapolis and at NWACC in Bentonville.
- BIEA plans to expand their offerings to include one and two semester programs for individuals to continue their education and advance their career in the bicycle industry, including distribution, manufacturing and other areas in the industry as needs emerge
- BIEA is dedicated to meeting the professional needs of the entire U.S. Bicycle industry and providing clear career paths through smart education solutions.
For more information or to make a donation, please visit: https://www.biea.org and foxracing.com
About Fox Racing
For over four decades, Fox Racing has been the global leader in motocross and mountain biking apparel and equipment. Fox outfits the world’s best competitive action sport athletes and enthusiasts with products that combine innovation and style, rooted in the brand’s original competitive motocross spirit. The company is based in Irvine, California, with offices, retail stores, and an international roster of sponsored athletes, located around the world.