B$Z: SIA's 2011 Youth Market Intelligence Report Released
SIA's 2011 Youth Market Intelligence Report Released
SIA Breaks Down Where Kids Spent $296 Million in 2011
SnowSports Industries America (SIA) is excited to announce the release of the 2011 SIA Youth Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report. This report offers a vast array of insights on snow sports participants ages 17 and under. Kids are a highly influential demographic in the snow sports market, what they are doing and purchasing today drives innovation and ultimately the products of tomorrow. Last season, kids-specific snow sports products represented over $296 million in sales. In the 4th annual edition, SIA Research taps into the information that you need to know about this demographic including top product trends, participation and retail sales.
“If you need to take a closer look into the kids’ snow sport market, this is the place to get everything you need,” said SIA Director of Research, Kelly Davis.
Today, kids have more choices than ever before, so how do you keep their interest in snow sports and your brand’s products? The Youth Market Intelligence Report offers detailed information and insight for the demographic that wants to do a little bit of everything. Below is a sample of findings in the 2011 Youth Market Intelligence Report.
2011 Youth Intelligence Report Highlights:
- The most popular snow sport for kids is snowboarding; with boys dominating participation.
- The only youth apparel item that outsells adults are alpine suits.
- Specialty shops bring in the most youth snow sport sales; accounting for $191 million.
- Youth ski systems were up 15% in 2010/2011.
- Despite the decline of snowboard sales overall, freeride boards were up 38% in sales.
- 739,000 kids participated in cross-country skiing last season.
- Girl’s snowshoe popularity grew last season, translating to a 114% increase in girl’s snowshoe sales.
- With high safety concerns for the youth market, helmet sales continued to increase; up 17% in unit sales last season.
The Youth Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report is available at no cost to SIA members and $425 for non-members. Be sure to check out SIA’s other Market Intelligence reports covering both women and the overall industry.
SIA provides research that covers all aspects of the snow industry, including demographics, consumer opinions and behavioral patterns, weather patterns, snow sports participation, overall market analysis, and more. Learn more. Be sure to check out the State of the Industry Research Videos that highlight the record 2010/11 winter season. If you have any questions or need research assistance please contact Kelly Davis, SIA's Director of Research at KDavis@snowsports.org or by phone at 703.506.4224.