EVENT: Penultimate AMA Arenacross Series Round Set to Unfold in Reno This Weekend
Penultimate AMA Arenacross Series Round Set to Unfold in Reno This Weekend
Bowers Leads Championship Standings by 18 Points
The penultimate round of the 2012 AMA Arenacross Series converges on Reno’s Livestock Events Center this weekend, with back-to-back nights of professional racing on Friday and Saturday, followed by a full slate of amateur competition on Sunday. Defending AMA Arenacross Series Champion Tyler Bowers, who rides for Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki presented by Maxxis, has an 18-point lead in the season standings over FMF Power/Poynt TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson with just three main events remaining.
Last weekend, Gibson captured his third win of the season in the Arenacross Class, leading all 25 laps inside Fresno’s Save Mart Center after picking up the holeshot. Bowers spent the first seven laps stalking Gibson and after making up significant ground, he suffered a crash, allowing Gibson to ride off for the win. While Bowers’ crash allowed his teammate Chad Johnson to assume the number-two position, Bowers remounted and eventually re-passed Johnson and finish second. Johnson finished third and also currently sits third in season standings.
BNTQ.Net/Tuf Honda Racing’s Kevin Markwardt, of Freeport, Ill., opened up the 18-lap main event in the Western Regional Arenacross Lites Class by capturing the holeshot. Reed and Reese Racing KTM’s Michael McDade trailed in second and Steven Mages in third. Four laps in, Markwardt and McDade were bar to bar, but a slight mishap dismounted McDade from his bike and allowed Mages to take over in second, while Markwardt still controlled the lead.
Behind Mages, Team Airide KTM’s Daniel Blair, McDade and Team Faith KTM’s Kevin Johnson traded places for several laps. With just nine laps to go, the top four riders were all side by side. Shortly after, Markwardt, who controlled the lead, made a mistake, allowing Mages to move in front, with Blair and Johnson in tow. Mages checked out, but the remaining laps hosted a tight battle for second between Johnson and Blair. Through it all, Blair managed to hold off Johnson to secure second place and Johnson rounded out the podium in third.
In the Dash for Cash, Gibson started out in front, but went down three laps in. Bowers took over the vacated spot and held onto the lead to win the race. In total, $900 was donated, which marked an all-time high this season. Money went to local Fresno, Calif., charity Break the Barriers. This weekend, the Dash for Cash will go to Northern Nevada Children’s Cancer Foundation.
Tickets are available at the Reno-Sparks Livestock Events Center Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge by phone at (800) 745-3000, or online at www.arenacross.com or www.ticketmaster.com. Friday and Saturday, the doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the Main Event starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets for Friday and Saturday are $20 Adult/$5 Kids. Doors open at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday and the Amateur racing begins at 10:00 a.m. General admission tickets for Sunday are $12 Adult/Kids.
Arenacross Class Results (Fresno, Calif.)
1. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
2. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
4. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM
5. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki
6. Travis Sewell, Westville, IN, KTM
7. Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Honda
8. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
9. Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM
10. Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM
Arenacross Lites Class Results (Fresno, Calif.)
1. Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki
2. Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM
3. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM
4. Michael McDade, Edinburg, Pa, KTM
5. Casey Hinson, Clovis, Calif., Kawasaki
6. Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda
7. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., Kawasaki
8. Chris Proscelle, Dulzura, Calif., Honda
9. Daniel Meynet Santa Ynez, Calif., Kawasaki
10. Ricky Yorks, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 16 of 19)
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki (10 wins) – 352
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda (3 wins) – 334
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki (2 wins) – 268
4. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM (1 win) – 250
5. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki – 236
6. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 223
7. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM – 191
8. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM – 141
9. Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 127
10. Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM – 125
Western Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 6 of 9)
1. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki – 88
2. Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 78
3. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM – 63
4. Patrick Massie, Washington Court House, Ohio, Honda – 35
5. Cody Church, Grand Junction, Colo., Kawasaki – 34
6. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., KTM – 26
7. Brandon Marley, McEwen, Tenn., KTM – 24
8. Nick Myers, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki – 22
9. Casey Hinson, Clovis, Calif., Kawasaki - 16
10. Chris Proscelle, Dulzura, Calif., Honda - 13
Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series returns for the 2012 season! To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com.