So You Are Graduating...Now What? (read it on usatodayeducate.com)
Why Read It? This may be the question of the hour, but it shouldn't be scary - as a soon-to-be graduate, you have plenty of options...
There are opportunities available to graduates besides getting a job or going back to school, here are some common paths worth considering:
- Internships: Landing an internship is a great way to improve your skills and make valuable use of your time.
- Volunteer: Well-known volunteer programs include AmeriCorps, where members address critical needs in communities all across America, and the Peace Corps, where members serve their country in the cause of peace by living and working in developing countries.
- Dual internship + coursework programs: This option is truly the best of both worlds, allowing participants to gain real world experience while continuing education.
- Travel: Dr. Seuss said it best with "Oh, the places you'll go!"
"What are you going to do after graduation?"
Don't Know What to Do After College? (read it on nytimes.com)
Why Read It? You've just graduated from college but couldn't find a job or internship in advance...
- What's the best way to use the time between graduation and employment? Your focus should be on developing the skills you will need for employment and to learn about your industry...this is also a good time to build your network.
- If you can't find a job, should you try starting your own business? Yes, starting a business is one of the most profound résumé-building experiences you can have.
- Is there a way to develop the skills you need, without yet having a job in your chosen field? Of course, try talking to people in your desired industry and read job ads to learn what employers are looking for.
- What if the only job you can find involves waiting tables or working as a clerk in a retail store? In this economy, any job is more valuable than no job...especially if you approach it with the attitude: What can I learn?
"Everything has gotten more competitive - and with that, the experience itself has become much more fast paced and goal driven."
Be Seen, Be Heard
Would your company like to be featured on Malakye.com? Do you have a press release you'd like posted in our news section? Did you recently utilize our services with a new hire? We'd love to feature you on our site and in future newsletters. Please send all relevant information to firstname.lastname@example.org - thanks!
Money Moves All College Students Should Make Before Graduation
(use it on foxbusiness.com)
"Life after college brings on new expenses and financial challenges, but students can soften the blow...by taking action before graduation."
Steve Jobs' Commencement Speech at Standford; June, 2005
(check out the video on youtube.com)
"Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did."