10 Steps for Flourishing at a Job Fair (read it on usnews.com)
Why Read It? Don't waste the chance to make a good impression - follow these steps and learn to put your best foot forward at your next job fair!
- Know what type of job you want: So that you are able to articulate the match between a company's needs and what you can offer.
- Know about the company: "It's so easy to find information online; spend time researching the organization if you plan to speak to its recruiters."
- Have some good questions to ask: Let the recruiter know you've done your homework!
- Adjust your attitude, look the part, have copies of your resume handy, swap business cards, and follow up!
"You may be surprised by how few people actually [follow up]. It can make a difference between landing an interview and landing in the proverbial circular file—the trash."
Questions to Ask at a Job Fair (read it on howstuffworks.com)
Why Read It? Because there usually isn't time for a formal interview at a job fair and you need to quickly show the recruiter that you're prepared and professional. One of the best ways to do that is by asking informed questions, like these:
- What are the skills and attributes you value most in your employees?
- What are the opportunities for advancement?
- What are the biggest challenges for this position?
- What do you enjoy most about working for the company?
- The absolute worst question has to be: Do you run background checks?
"Job fairs represent one of the few opportunities to meet face-to-face with companies that are actually hiring...a successful applicant has to figure out how to stand out from the horde."
Be Seen, Be Heard
Would your company like to be featured on Malakye.com? Do you have a press release you'd like posted in our news section? Did you recently utilize our services with a new hire? We'd love to feature you on our site and in future newsletters. Please send all relevant information to firstname.lastname@example.org - thanks!