EVENT: 2015 US Skateboarding Championships Coming to 12 Cities this Summer
World Skateboarding Grand Prix (WSGP) – the leading global skateboarding events management company -- announced today the schedule for the 2015 U.S. Skateboarding Championships. In partnership with leading independent skate shops across the nation, regional qualifying contests will be held in 11 cities this summer, culminating in the first-ever US Skateboarding Championships in Washington, D.C. Saturday, August 29. The total prize purse is $36,000 with $2,000 up for grabs at each regional qualifier.
1. Dallas | June 13 | Rhythm Skate Shop
2. Kansas City | June 13 | Escapist
3. Minneapolis | June 14 | 3rd Lair
4. Frederick, Maryland | June 20 | Pitcrew
5. Portland | July 25 | Shrunkenhead Skateboards
6. San Francisco | July 11 | Skate Works
7. Atlanta | July 18 | Hazard County
8. Chicago | July 25 | Uprise
9. Los Angeles | July 20 | Pharmacy
10. Las Vegas | July 20 | Pharmacy
11. New York | August 1 | KCDC
12. Washington, D.C. | August 29 | Finals at RFK Skatepark
The 11 individual winners will compete for a shot at the U.S. Championship title in Washington, D.C. August 29. The winner will earn the chance to compete against the world’s best skaters, from over 50 countries, in the Skateboarding World Championships. This year’s world championships will be held at the Kimberley Diamond Cup in South Africa, Oct. 7-10.
“When we first decided to host a U.S. Skateboarding Championship, we knew we wanted to work with the independent skate shops around the country. Not only will this enable us to find the best talent out there, but it will also lend support to these shops who are the heart of the skateboarding industry,” said Tim McFerran, president of World Skateboarding Grand Prix. “It’s been over 20 years since a true national skateboarding contest, one that isn’t invite only, was held in the U.S. – If you’re good and think you have what it takes to compete against the best, this is your opportunity to make a name for yourself. We’re excited to bring this event to the U.S. this summer and we can’t wait to see who comes out on top at the Finals in D.C. on August 29!”