Moving On Up: A Two Part Succession Plan for Dummies by Leslie Juvin-Acker (read it on Malakye.com)
Why Read It? Because if you're waiting for a promotion to be handed to you, you will probably be waiting a long time!
- To get promoted, you need to be prepared for the commitment, added responsibility, and everything else that comes from moving up the ladder
- Having a leadership plan in place will help you handle all of the challenges of the job
- Most importantly, be ready to ask yourself why you want the promotion
"It's my job to strip away the God-complex to assure when it comes time to make a critical decision for the company, they don't have their head shoved so far up where the sun doesn't shine that they make costly and even irreversible mistakes. "
Bosses Tell Us: 11 Things That Will Get You Promoted (read it on themuse.com)
Why Read It? Because who better to ask how to get promoted than the one doing the promoting?
- Don't be afraid to challenge your boss, as long as you have a solid argument
- Take notes and repeat them back - don't rely on your memory to remember everything
- Bring the bad news first and always have a plan of action on how you are going to solve the problem
"'I think the best candidates for promotion are those who best can gently 'manage up' within their ranks and can find the balance needed to do gold star work while still knowing when to draw the line and say, 'I can do this for you, or I can do that for Mr. Smith, but I cannot get both done today.'"