EVENT: Rookie Kelvin Hoefler Makes History at the 2015 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship
In an explosive end to the season, the 2015 Street League Skateboarding (SLS) Nike SB Super Crown World Championship shook the packed house in the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, IL, today as the Top Eight finalists came together to compete for the ultimate title of World Champion, the $200,000 first-place prize purse and a one-of-a-kind Nixon watch. Going head to head against SLS veterans, it all came down to the last trick once again, where Brazilian newcomer Kelvin Hoefler took the big win just ahead of 2014 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Champion Nyjah Huston and winner of two 2015 World Tour events Luan Oliveira. Included in the SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship for the first time in League history was the Women’s Division contest in which Nike SB Pro from Brazil, Leticia Bufoni, broke through with her last Best Trick to roll away in first place just ahead of Vanessa Torres and Alana Smith.
Leading up to the most important street skateboarding competition was an action-packed season of skatepark, skate plaza and arena events around the world at which the 25 SLS Pros and Rookies earned vital Championship Points to make the cut for just eight Championship spots. In descending order of Season Standings, the shortlist going into the 2015 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship – the official street skateboarding world championship as recognized by the International Skateboarding Federation (ISF) – were Luan Oliveira, Nyjah Huston, Kelvin Hoefler, Chaz Ortiz, Paul Rodriguez, Shane O’Neill, Cody McEntire and Chris Cole.
As the event went live on FS1 and FOX Sports GO, the pressure was turned up as the Top Eight took the battlefield. Two 45-second shots in the Run Section allowed the athletes to express themselves freely throughout the course; followed by five Best Trick attempts to really go for broke. Just as the fans wanted, it all came down to the last trick again in a nail-biting finish. Highlights included:
• Nike SB Pro Shane O’Neill’s flawless run with back-to-back 360 Flip over the bank-to-bank gap, into a Nollie Heelflip off the bank and up onto the platform, a Blunt to fakie on the quarterpipe, a Switch 360 Flip over the gap, a Kickflip up the gap to the platform, a perfect Nollie Heelflip down the big set of three stairs for some serious crowd noise, into a Switch Kickflip to fakie on the quarterpipe, and finishing with a nice Backside Bigspin over the gap up to the platform for well deserved 8.8.
• SLS Rookie Kelvin Hoefler’s crowd-pleasing run, starting with a Frontside Bluntside transfer into the bank, a Frontside Smith Grind over the gap onto the flatbar, straight into a Kickflip 50-50 up onto the ledge and around for a 360 Flip over the gap up onto the platform, a lofty Frontside Ollie on the quarterpipe, a Kickflip Backside Lipslide down the handrail, a stylish Backside Ollie on the quarterpipe, into a Kickflip Frontside Nosegrind on the ledge, and finishing strong with a long Frontside Bluntslide through the long rail transferred for 8.4.
• A strong run from SLS veteran and Nike SB Pro Paul Rodriguez, with a textbook Nollie Flip over the bank-to-bank gap, a casual 50-50 along the quarterpipe, a 360 Flip over the gap, a stylish Backside Tailslide up onto the ledge from the bank and into a Switch Kickflip over the gap, a Frontside Lipslide through the flatbar and finishing with a perfect Frontside Feeble Grind along the flatbar above the big three and down to the flat, scoring a solid 8.0.
• As always, the big guns were pulled out for the Best Trick section. Typically one to hit the big obstacles and with tricks none of the other Pros would attempt, Chris Cole – SLS veteran and 2013 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Champion – got the crowd on their feet with a perfectly executed Fakie 5-0 on the flatbar with a 180 out down the big three set for 8.5.
• Nike SB Pro Shane O’Neill broke ahead with his Switch Kickflip Frontside Boardslide down the handrail for an 8.6 followed by a Switch Double 360 Flip down the big three, touching his hands on the ground and rolling away short of a 9 Club score with 8.8.
• Newcomer for the 2015 season, SLS Rookie Cody McEntire laid down the most perfect Switch Shifty Kickflip over the handrail next to the big three for an 8.1.
• Hometown hero Chaz Ortiz gave the crowd what they came for with a 9 Club Kickflip Frontside Feeble Grind down the handrail (9.0).
• The 2014 SLS People’s Champ Luan Oliveira made it look easy with a perfect Hardflip over the SLS logo in front of the big three (9.1) followed by a Switch Frontside Bigspin Heelflip down the big three set of stairs (8.9).
• Defending World Champion Nyjah Huston kept the crowd on the edge of their seats with a Halfcab Backside Smith Grind 180 out down the handrail (8.8), and two 9 Club hammers: a Fakie Noseblunt down handrail (9.0) and a Nollie Backside Kickflip over SLS logo (9.3).
• First-place winner straight from Brazil – as a newcomer making his way into the League at one of the pre-season qualifiers – Tampa Pro – Kelvin Hoefler showed that he was serious with an assault about facing the SLS veterans with a brutal assault on the handrail: first with a Kickflip Backside Noseblunt Slide (8.9) that brought the stadium to their feet, then with two 9 Club bangers: a Halfcab Nosegrind Revert (9.1), and to take out Nyjah Huston for the win he came through with an amazing Cab Backslide Tailslide to fakie (9.3).
Preceding the main event of the 2015 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship was the inaugural Women’s Division contest in which eight handpicked female street skateboarders had the chance to compete for the title of Champion, $30,000 purse, and a one-of-a-kind Nixon watch. Rolling into the arena were Leticia Bufoni, Lacey Baker, Pamela Rosa, Samarria Brevard, Alexis Sablone, Vanessa Torres, Marisa Dal Santo, and Alana Smith. Highlights of this historic contest included:
• Leticia Bufoni’s run made the crowd go wild, beginning with an Ollie down into the bank, a Frontslide 180 over the bank-to-bank gap, a Frontside Lipslide on the quarterpipe, a Backside 5050 Grind right through the long down-ledge, over the gap for a Krooked Grind on the ledge, and finishing with a lofty Ollie over the SLS logo down to flat for a score of 6.9.
• Lacey Baker’s run, starting strong with a smooth Boardslide through the flatbar down into the bank, followed by a Nollie Heelflip off the wedge to flat, a Frontside 5.0 on the quarterpipe, Nose Manual to revert across the whole platform, a 360 Flip over the wedge, Frontside Disaster on the quarterpipe, and finishing with a perfect Hardflip of the wedge to flat for a score of 7.1, and earning her the Monster Energy Highest Score Trick award.
• The Best Trick section was heated with the women throwing down high scores for a chance at the win. Vanessa Torres had a long 5-0 Grind along the length of the quarterpipe popped out to fakie (6.6), and her Frontside Boardslide down handrail (6.5); Alexis Sablone‘s perfect Kickflip down the big three for 6.3; Samarria Brevard’s Backside 180 down the big three (6.2); Pamela Rose’s Boardslide on the flat out rail and off to the flat next to big three, to land clean with a seven-foot drop (6.5)
• Leticia Bufoni’s 360 Boardflip over the wedge gap (6.2) sealed the deal for first place against Vanessa Torres and rolling away as the first-ever female SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Champion.
After the World Championship contests, the #DIAMONDBESTTRICK contest went down and solidified that the Rookies reigned supreme in Chicago, with Cody McEntire taking home the win and $5,000 with his Nollie Backside Bigspin Heelflip over the giant gold SLS sign.
Congratulations to the 2015 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship winners Kelvin Hoefler and Leticia Bufoni. For full highlights and re-airs of the exclusive Championship webcast visit StreetLeague.com. In partnership with FS1, the Women’s Division will have it’s own dedicated onehour telecast on FS1 and FOX Sports GO on October 18 at 4:00pm ET.
FOX SPORTS TELECAST SCHEDULE: For the second year in a row, the SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship will air adjacent to FOX NFL single-header football games in most markets, either preceding or following football (check local listings).
2015 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship Encore Special: Sunday, October 11 (2:30pm-4:00pm ET - Before the 4:00PM ET NFL Game: Arizona @ Detroit) (4:30pm-6:00pm ET – After the 1:00PM ET NFL Games: New Orleans @ Philly, Chicago @ KC, Seattle @ Cincinnati, Washington @ Atlanta) 2015 SLS Nike SB Super Crown World Championship: Women’s Division Premiere on FS1 and FOX Sports GO: Sunday, October 18 (4 PM ET – 5 PM ET)
For more information visit StreetLeague.com. For all media inquiries contact Sarah Bronilla at VOCAL: Sarah@VOCALnyc.com or John Stouffer at FOX Sports: John.Stouffer@FOX.com.