B$Z: SCARPA Freedom Series Freeride Ski Boots Win Eight Ski Media Awards for Fall 2015
Testers across a range of ski media praised its downhill performance chops, with comments like “it’s capable of driving any ski,” while simultaneously noting its outstanding touring capabilities and light weight.
In addition, the women’s Freedom SL 120 Freeride boot won media awards from Powder, Ski and Skiing, for a total of eight awards this year for the Freedom ski boot family.
“Despite its light weight, testers said the (Freedom) RS is the strongest of the alpine/AT hybrids,” Skiing Magazine said.
Freeskier praised the Freedom RS for “effortless uphill travel and worry-free downhill performance … Its 130 flex and molding of the lower boot around a carbon frame provide ultimate stiffness … “
Backcountry Magazine concluded: “Bottom Line: The RS taunts AT boots like that kid at the playground – ‘I can do anything better than you.’ And few can rise to that challenge.”
“Smooth and in charge,” one of Ski Magazine’s tester’s concluded. “Best blend of skiability and tourability.”
The SCARPA Freedom RS 130 earned Powder’s Skier’s Choice Award, Freeskier’s Editor’s Pick Award, Backcountry’s Editor’s Choice Award, Ski’s Gold Medal Gear Award, and Skiing’s Official Selection Award. The women’s Freedom SL earned Powder’s Skier’s Choice Award, Ski’s Gold Medal Gear Award, and Skiing’s Official Selection Award. In addition, the Freedom RS 130 was highlighted in the Fall 2015 Outside Magazine Buyer’s Guide.
For Fall 2015, SCARPA grew its award-winning Freedom collection into a family of five freeride boots, broadening the ‘quiver of one’ capabilities of the original Freedom SL 120 into a line with three different flex indexes for different types of skiers. The Freedom line was designed with input from big-mountain skier Chris Davenport.
New boots in the collection include the RS, a stiffer, 130-flex boot that more aggressive skiers asked for after the debut of the 120-flex men’s and women’s Freedom SL, as well as redesigned men’s and women’s versions of the original Freedom. This year, the Freedom 100 was overhauled to be lighter and more versatile, and now comes stock with a thermo-moldable Intuition liner. Qualities that make the Freedom family stand out in the crowded field of freeride boots include:
· SCARPA’s patented Carbon Core Technology molds the lower boot around a carbon fiber frame, substantially stiffening the boot, improving power transmission to the ski throughout the length of the boot shell. This design provides rigidity where you want it – torsionally – without affecting the progressive forward flex that freeride skiers seek out.
· Carbon Core construction also results an internal frame through which interchangeable soles (one DIN standard, one with lugged soles and tech inserts) are bolted, the most secure and performance-oriented way to attach a interchangeable sole.
· A race-inspired overlap closure and chassis, as well as a low-profile 101 mm forefoot last, contributing to performance and power.
· The Ride Power Block, a frictionless ski/walk mechanism with best-in-class range of motion (25 to 27 degrees depending on model). The Ride Power Block’s two-part design allows resistance-free forward and back flex, yet it locks into place in ski mode with very tight tolerances, resulting in alpine-level performance.
· Very light weight for such powerful boots (3 lbs, 15 ozs for the SL, 4 lbs, 6 ozs for the RS).
· Intuition liners come stock in all boots