PHOTOGRAPHER Tom Underhill
3714 Gundry Avenue · Long Beach, CA, 90807 · Home: 562. 492.9955 · Cell: 310.713.6324
To secure a position where I will use my extensive skills and experience in film and digital photography, coupled with lab techniques, maintenance and management, to help students succeed in the classroom and beyond.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• More than 20 years experience as a professional photographer in both film and digital formats.
• Adept with editing and design applications on both Mac and PC platforms including Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro, Photo Mechanic, Lightroom, After Effects, Dreamweaver and InDesign.
• Gifted teacher; able to demonstrate and express concepts in a manner that students can easily grasp.
• Organized; able to handle a multitude of details at once and meet tight deadlines.
• Experienced with maintaining and calibrating full, working wet and digital labs.
• Maintain accurate records and material safety data sheets of chemistry and photo supplies.
• Awarded First Place in 2006 and 2008 for sports photo and First Place in 2008 for breaking-news photo by the California Newspaper Publishers Association.
• Served as primary photographer for award-winning semiweekly local newspaper.
• Covered diverse areas of photojournalism including spot/breaking news, sports/action, feature, lifestyle, architecture and design, portraiture, street photography, underground music, live events and studio photography.
• Performed a variety of freelance assignments for magazines and business periodicals
• Did pro-bono photography for charitable organizations including Special Olympics, Friends of the Los Angeles River, LAJCC’s Ready to Learn and the Cal Heights Neighborhood Association.
Post-Production and Design
• Responsible for post-production of images for use in both print and online applications including image selection, color-correction, resolution, file and caption data, image upload to appropriate server/site and archiving.
• Handled photo illustration, layout and page design; packaging of images and creation of graphics for special sections.
• Oversaw a working wet/digital film lab; responsible for processing and archiving film-based and digital images.
• Trained incoming newspaper employees in the safe use and maintenance of all photo lab equipment.
• Taught college-aged photo interns photography techniques, computer software and lab processes.
• Served as reading tutor and provided art instruction to first-graders attending low-performing LAUSD Title 1 schools for the LAJCC Ready to Learn Project.
Lab Operation and Maintenance
• Mixed and maintained photo chemistry; ensured that chemicals were disposed of properly.
• Assisted photo department in the selection and purchase of new cameras and related equipment; handled inventory and the ordering of supplies within a set budget.
• Maintained, cleaned and calibrated all photography equipment including lights and exposure meters, cameras and lenses, recorders, enlargers, printing processers and film scanners.
• Oversaw equipment and supply check-out procedures; maintained relevant records; ensured that all items were accounted for and returned by deadline.
Tom Underhill RÉSUMÉ, PAGE 2
Art Instructor KCET, Burbank, CA 2012-2013
Freelance Photographer Long Beach, CA 2000-Present
Primary Photographer Palos Verdes Peninsula News, Palos Verdes, CA 1995-2011
Los Angeles Junior Chamber of Commerce Ready to Learn Project 2010-Present
• Serve as reading tutor and provide art instruction to first-graders attending low-performing LAUSD Title 1 schools.
California Heights Neighborhood Association 2012-Present
• Serve as board member, working on numerous projects to improve the California Heights neighborhood of Long Beach, including Clean Streets, Neighborhoods USA and Neighborhood Harvest
• Provide photographic services for use in the community newsletter, on the website, press releases, and social media outlets.
Long Beach City College
• Completed courses in art and printmaking
Cal State University, Dominguez Hills
• Completed courses in education, photography and art