Curt J. Thompson
RXBAR: Category-defying Whole Food Protein Bar and Protein Butters.
Director of Marketing Seattle, WA / Chicago, IL 2016-2019
• Cultivated RXBAR from 25mm in annual revenue to 230mm annually, broadening the consumer base from the narrow Natural/CrossFit channel to a much wider audience (Starbucks, Target, Kroger, Costco, etc.)
• P&L responsibility for 7mm marketing budget between Field and Experiential Marketing.
• Developed strategy for innovation launches of line extensions: RX Kids (2017) and RX Nut Butter (2018).
• Wrote business plan based on brand and consumer insights to effectively engage 3.5mm people annually with face-to-face, 1:1 brand interactions cost averaging $.61 each.
• Balanced broad reach with tentpole experiential engagement anchored by deeper messaging at national events like Art Basel, SXSW, Ragnar Relay, Wanderlust, CrossFit Games, and New York Fashion Week.
• Built cross-functional experiencial marketing group tying insights, B2B, social, digital/ecomm, and experiential teams to local activation in 14 battleground markets based on market insights of syndicated data like BDI/CDI.
• Led external agencies to develop tools such as branded trade show booths, experiential events, RXCARs, uniforms, digital/print assets, and specialty custom items (photobooths, teardrop trailers, inflatables, etc.)
• Hired and led 8 direct reports with a FTE staff of 14 and extended team of 250 PT employees, consistent with values of the broader organization and leadership team.
• Produced departmental charter, training videos, and training materials, all aligned with company values.
• Effectively diverted 350,000 units of distressed inventory into marketing pipeline.
• Managed team through a 600mm acquisition and restructure by Kellogg’s in 2017.
First Aid Shot Therapy (F.A.S.T.): Single-dose liquid pharmaceutical beverage manufacturer.
Executive Director of Marketing Seattle, WA / Burlingame CA 2013-2016
• Launched a category-defining liquid pharmaceutical product first in Seattle and Boston, then nationally.
• Responsible for brand voice and content on social media channels including Twitter and Facebook.
• Developed Brand Vision for field sales and marketing teams including messaging, positioning, collateral, and brand documents.
• Wrote and executed breakthrough digital strategy of rapid response: (Responding immediately to consumers with a physical sample based on keyword listening on social media.)
• Performed ongoing listening and adjustments to brand strategy based on consumer feedback and research, including a complete packaging rebranding to aid clarity of messaging.
• Led qualitative and quantitative consumer research including focus groups, surveys, A/B message testing.
• Developed packaging and Point of Sale materials with branding agencies, oversaw website redevelopment.
• Placed $400k in paid social, OOH, TV, in addition to overseeing 600k of sponsorships annually.
• P&L responsibility for 2.5mm budget including staff, product, technology, design, and infrastructure.
• Supported efforts to reach $3.7mm revenue 2016, reaching 91% of goal.
• Assisted CEO and CFO pitching VC firms raising over $30mm.
• Managed national team of Regional Marketing Managers and part-time staff.
Coca-Cola/glacéau: Active Lifestyle Brands / Non-carb beverage group
Director of Field Marketing Seattle, WA / Atlanta GA 2010-2013
Senior Regional Marketing Manager Seattle, WA / New York 2009-2010
Regional Marketing Manager Seattle, WA / New York 2007-2009
District Marketing Manager Seattle, WA / New York 2004-2007
• Promoted 4 times in 6 years to senior leadership level in Coca-Cola system.
• Developed strategy and goals to build brand health, consistent with brand vision and capabilities of field marketing for glacéau portfolio of brands. (smartwater, POWERADE, vitaminwater, vitaminwater ZERO, Relentless Energy, NOS, Full Throttle, and FUZE)
• Served as brand team extension and strategy link to CCR regional commercialization teams to ensure local brand alignment and collaboration with local activation.
• Managed a $4.5mm budget, to within 2.2% of goal annually.
• Created growth marketing plans for 35+ independent DSD regional distributors annually to demonstrate glacéau’s commitment to partnering with our independent partners for growth (pre-coke ownership)
• Created quantifiable retail marketing programs for chain grocery, convenience, and drug stores, raising brand awareness and, averaging 15,000 incremental cases per program. (Ski Free program, Winter X games, etc.)
• Chaired FUZE brand through development of Coke IMC (Integrated Marketing Campaign).
• Managed a team of 12 full time mid-level marketing professionals, with extended team of 80+ seasonal staff, providing vision and overseeing best-in-class experiential marketing execution to build brand love.
• Covered the western US Territory (excluding Los Angeles, Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada)
• Developed localized marketing plan for innovation line extensions. (vitaminwater10, vitaminenergy, Relentless Energy, NOS energy shots, etc.)
• Built comprehensive enter-to-win consumer and retail programs with multiple partners, entry methods, agencies, prizes and fulfillment avenues.
• Negotiated media partnerships (print, radio, ooh, digital) and regional sponsorships. (events and programs)
• Designed innovative distributor marketing plans and incentives to reward partners with trips to NASCAR races, sporting events, concerts, and celebrity travel packages (Jennifer Aniston, 50 Cent, Kasey Kahne, Ray Allen, Big Papi, Kim Kardashian, Carrie Underwood. etc.)
• Constructed 45+ radio programs annually aligned with regional marketing and sales initiatives in 10 markets, including organic chatter and traditional spot buys.
Microsoft: Produced events and marketing initiatives on Microsoft’s behalf.
Marketing Specialist Redmond, WA 2001-2004
• Managed Microsoft’s presence at ASUG, SAPPHIRE, TechED, SearchSAP, and smaller industry events, with budgetary responsibility for $800,000 annually.
• Created marketing materials, customer evidence papers, messaging and positioning to support major initiatives of Microsoft-SAP partnership.
• Developed, edited, and maintained Microsoft’s SAP alliance website and forums for over 15,000+ unique visitors monthly.
• Managed e-mail campaigns to 13,000+ recipients monthly, while maintaining compliance with Microsoft’s strict legal and privacy guidelines.
• Developed pioneer marketing campaign to follow up and track accounts from trade show prospects, resulting in 600+ net new leads for sales pipeline.
• Executed global marketing events for C-level attendees including the Microsoft-SAP Congress and Microsoft Executive Partner Summits
University Of Puget Sound Tacoma, WA
Bachelor of Arts: History. Marketing emphasis. Minor: German.
Fluent in Windows 10, Mac OS, Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and Adobe Creative Suite. NetSuite, Magento, SalesForce, Fusion 360, SQL Server, SEO/SEM, HTML, CAD/CAM, Gcode, and SAP literate. Hands-on experience managing brand voice and message on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and other social media channels. Certified by Coca-Cola to represent brands on social media platforms.
Hogan Leadership Forecast: 9 month intensive leadership program. KDP Presence Training, DNA-The Coca-Cola Way of Marketing, Coca-Cola Management Training, Situational Leadership, DiSC style: DC/CD